The Campobello Island Museum was started in 1973 by a group of islanders concerned about preserving their heritage, and moved into the second room of the library, which was added in 1899, where it remains to date.
Over the years, islanders as well as summer residents donated items to the Museum, growing the collections. These include the Admiral Owen Collection, the Tomah Joseph Passamaquoddy Indigenous Collection as well as items related to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Other artifacts highlight historical events such as the Fenian Raid, the
Campobello Company Hotels, the fishing industry, and the Quoddy Dam Project. The Museum is also home to island genealogical records and a collection of artifacts dedicated to local history.
The Museum offers guided tours and admission is free. The Museum operates from
donations, small grants, and help from many volunteers.
In 2023 the Campobello Island Museum will proudly celebrate its 50 th anniversary!
3 Welshpool Street, Welshpool, N.B. E5E 1G3