New Brunswick Genealogical Society
The New Brunswick Genealogical Society, Inc. (NBGS, Inc.) is a non-profit organization founded in 1978 to encourage and facilitate family historical research in New Brunswick, Canada. The Society is one of the founding members of the the Genealogical Institute of the Maritimes, the licensing body for Certified Genealogists in the Maritimes. You may discover more about the Genealogical Institute of the Maritimes by clicking here.
The mission of the Society – volunteer provincial heritage organization – as summarized here from our constitution, is to promote and develop the study, research and preservation of genealogical records and family history by:
- Promoting the collection, preservation and accessibility of the Province of New Brunswick genealogical and heritage records.
- Being the collective voice of genealogy and family history pertaining to the Province of New Brunswick.
- Co-ordinating genealogical and family history related projects pertaining to the Province of New Brunswick.
- Promoting education of members and the general public in New Brunswick with respect to genealogy and heritage.
- Encouraging the establishment of Branches within the Province of New Brunswick.
- Encouraging accuracy and thoroughness in genealogical research.
- Encouraging and instructing members and the public in the ethical principles, scientific methods, and effective techniques of genealogical research through publications and workshops.
- Assembling a library of genealogical guides, handbooks, reference sources, family and local histories, and other books and materials to assist the members, which shall be available to the members and the public.
- Collecting, preserving and publishing materials relevant to the study of genealogy and family history.
- Developing and maintaining the human and financial resources of the Society.
P.O. Box 3235, Stn B, Fredericton, NB E3A 5G9